This recipe is the low carb version of the traditional lemon cake. There are a few recipes out there for this low carb treat but we tried following the one on lowcarbeating.com. We also whipped up some of our own cream frosting. These lemon bars are very easy to make if you have the 5 or 6 basic ingredients.
Ingredients (for ~ 16 servings):
- 1 stick butter (first kept at room temperature to soften)
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened at room temp)
- ~ 1 measuring cup of granulated Splenda (not out of the individual packets)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (unsweetened)
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1.5 to 2 measuring cups of Almond meal (putting it in the freezer between use will preserve freshness)
Zest the lemon. Cut it in half and squeeze the lemon juice in a separate bowl so that you could remove the lemon pits. A good investment for zesting is a microplane grater, which you can also use for grating cheese.
In a mixing bowl stir your softened butter, cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest, almond meal and granulated Splenda (we have found that it is best for not altering the taste of baked goods drastically as compared to other artificial sweeteners).
Use a non-stick baking pan (ours was 8 x 8 in ). Lightly butter the pan or spray some Pam. Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake your low carb lemon bar in the middle rack for 20-30 minutes depending on how hot your oven is.
Cool before cutting.
- 1/3 cup (~2 oz) Whipped cream (hand whipped)
Use a handheld blender, a whisk or just a regular fork to blend heavy cream. Make sure the bowl you are using to whip the cream is on the colder side – you don’t want to use a warm bowl for whipping.
- 2-3 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Splenda (or to taste)
Note: Despite the fact that liquid Splenda contains less carbs than granulated Splenda, we still feel that the liquid one has a funnier, more artificial taste and we don’t like using it.
Finally, mix these ingredients together and spread over your lemon bar when it has cooled. Cover and place in fridge so the topping has time to chill.